June 6, 2017
Here at indybooth, we consider ourselves photo booth props aficionados (there are literally DOZENS of us out there!). We feel that having a strong prop game is the true differentiator between a mediocre photo booth photo and the pic of a lifetime. Whether you have reserved an indybooth photo booth for your event or not, be sure to follow these prop suggestions to ensure that your photo booth photos stand out from the pack.
We are huge fans of vintage props over here. There’s no better way to personalize your photos than to have a one-of-a-kind prop you found at a local thrift store included in the mix. Plus, scouring your local vintage store is a great bonding activity in itself! Here are a few of our favorite vintage props to keep an eye out for:
- Vintage phones: Not only do they look cool, but they can be used to create hilarious couple photos
- Old books: Believe it or not, an old hardcover book will make for an awesome prop! Combine it with some glasses on a stick for that extra scholarly look.
- Picture Frames: Vintage frames are always a winner. Something about a picture within a picture is just captivating.
- Deer antlers: Maybe it’s just us, but we love deer antlers. Plus, you don’t have to forage in the woods to find them! Give your photos a dash of cabin-chic by leaving a pair out for guests. Plus, the pictures are always hilarious.
At this point, a photo booth has pretty much become a must have at weddings. That being said, you’ll want to have some wedding specific props so the photos fit the theme. Aside for your classic props on a stick, here are some suggestions for props that tie into the big day!
- Wedding hats: Hats. So hot right now. Hats. But wedding specific hats? Go with a white cap with a veil for ladies and find yourself an old top hat for the gents. Done.
- Giant Champagne Bottle: These are so fun and make for a great picture. If you don’t want to buy an actual bottle, you can find some pretty sweet blow-up champagne bottles online.
- Baby pictures: This one is a little out-there and only for the veteran photo-boother. Create a blown-up headshot of the bride and grooms baby pictures and put it on a stick. Trust us, it’s hilarious.
- Sunglasses: Gather up all your best stunner shades and lay them out for wedding guests to get silly with. Our favorite use of sunglasses in the photo booth is when the entire bridal party gets in on the sunglass action. Plus, you’ll look super cool.
A great way to add an extra layer of fun to your photo booth prints are some custom signs. Because they are so customizable, you can come up with tons of words and phrases that are relevant to your event.
- Chalkboard signs: Find black chalkboard signs, either normal squares or word bubbles, and go crazy with it.
- Emoji signs: Print of large emoji’s and glue them to cardstock, then glue that to a stick. Voila’
- Instagram post cutout: This is one of our favorites. You can buy a custom Instagram post frame for relatively cheap. Then just customize the words.
The most important thing with your props is to have fun with it! Good props really make a picture that much better. Whether you have a wedding photo booth, corporate event, or are just setting up a photo booth for your party, you want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your pictures.
We hope our guide to props helped give you some inspiration for your next event. And if you’re in Southern California and looking for a photo booth with all the best props, drop us a line and we’ll come up with some even better ideas together!
May 16, 2017
Ever take a picture that looks just perfect — you’re flashing your best smile, your clothes look amazing, and your hair is on point — but then look at it again and realize you’ve been photobombed by a dumpster in the background? Or your distant aunt with the traffic-cone-orange hat? Or a hapless groomsman chomping down on a shrimp puff. There’s a lot to be said for including a dedicated picture-taking space at your wedding or other major event. A photo booth with a customized backdrop is the perfect opportunity for guests to capture terrific memories of your gathering, and to share those memories with family and friends.
What should you do with the blank canvas of your photo booth backdrop? The possibilities are endless. You can go fancy or simple, fun or formal, elegant and modern or retro and totally kitschy. Whatever the theme of your event, you can make a photo booth backdrop to match.
Create a flower wall (real or paper, the choice is yours!)
A floral wall can be an absolutely stunning background. You can find artificial flowers that match the season and colors of your wedding to help seamlessly tie the photo booth into the rest of your space. Which is the better route to go? Here are the pro’s and con’s of each:
Real Flower Wall
- Looks amazing!
- Keep the flowers once the event is complete and repurpose them
- A real flower wall is going to be expensive
- Setup is time-consuming
Paper Flower Wall
- Tons of color options to choose from. Maybe try a pink ombre or a color collage!
- Easy set up once the flowers have been made
- Less expensive than a living flower wall
- Most likely a one time use
- Paper can tear during the event
Whichever style flower wall you choose, rest assured your photo booth backdrop is going to look incredible.
Streamers and ribbons add glimmer and shine
Streamers or ribbons can be transformed into a dynamic photo booth backdrop. Simply choose your favorite color (or choose a few — try layering gold and silver streamers for a glitzy red carpet vibe), attach them to a rope or curtain rod, and set it up in the photo booth area. Your backdrop will look just like one of the sparkly sequins you see here!
Here is a list of everything you’ll need to create your very own DIY sparkle backdrop
Get rustic with wood pallets
For a more rustic feel, consider a wood pallet wall (Like the example above from Makespace.com). These pallets make for a versatile photo booth backdrop. You can customize a pallet wall by staining or painting the wood, or by adding other decorative elements. For a photo booth at a wedding, add wooden or chipboard letters for the bride and groom’s initials or for the date of the wedding.
Chalkboard walls, so hot right now
Chalkboard walls are one of the most popular new trends in photo booth backdrops. All you need to do is buy a can of chalkboard paint and use it to convert nearly any flat surface into a chalkboard. You can write out a message yourself, or you can leave erasers and chalk in the photo booth area so that snapshot-takers can create their own custom background. If your penmanship skills are less than par, or you need to brush up on your calligraphy skills (get it…”brush” up), then you can always get a custom chalkboard backdrop created at online stores like Backdrop Outlet
Use the space for your backdrop!
If you’re hosting an event in a large venue, you may find that there are some ready-made backdrops available for your use. Look for trellises, hedges, murals, or other aesthetically pleasing areas.
Once you’ve picked a spot, cordon it off with velvet rope, strategically placed flower pots, or simply a fun hand-lettered sign that says “PHOTO BOOTH” so everyone knows that this is the place to be.
A DIY photo booth backdrop will guarantee that your wedding or other big event has the perfect photo op. With a little creativity, you can create a photo booth space that’s sure to provide a myriad of fond memories (and plenty of Instagram material) for your guests.
Need a photo booth to go with your backdrop? Indybooth has you covered. We’d love to be a part of your wedding, fundraiser, corporate retreat, or other important event — get in touch with us today to find out more.
November 11, 2016
San Diego photo booth rentals for your next event
Thanks for stopping by our brand new blog! We are a photo booth rental company based in sunny San Diego, CA. Here we’ll be posting about photo booth life, wedding planning, parties, our favorite pictures from past events, and a bunch of other cool stuff that we think is awesome. Because we think you’re awesome and we want to share it with you.
Who is indybooth?
Like many of us in our mid-twenties, we were looking for a way to escape our 9-5 jobs and rid ourselves of the horror that is peak-traffic-hours on the 805. Living in North Park, we are constantly exposed to some of the trendiest stores, restaurants, and bars San Diego has to offer. That contemporary style was the spirit we wanted to capture in their next venture, no matter what that may be. After tossing around hundreds of ideas, mostly junk, our true calling hit us- and it was at our own engagement party.
For the party, we created a DIY photo booth using their DSLR camera, floodlights, a PVC backdrop frame, and some wrapping paper. Surprisingly, the jerry-rigged photo booth set-up was a huge hit! After seeing the enjoyment our guests got out of the homemade booth, we decided that our new mission in life was to offer a top of the line photo booth to everyone we can in San Diego.
If you haven’t already, like us on facebook to stay up to date on all of our posts. And of course, if you want to get in touch with us for any reason at all, feel free to shoot us an email. We feel that a photo booth is an essential part of any party, so let us know about yous 🙂
Stay tuned for more!
-Nicole and Paul